2010 CoKL Municipal Election
This page provides important information related to the upcoming municipal election to be held on Monday, October 25th in the City of Kawartha Lakes. Sturgeon Pointers will have an opportunity to vote for a councillor to represent Ward 7 on the City Council for the next four years. We will also be voting for one of three mayoraly candidates and School Board Trustees. We’ll keep this page up to date with links to the candidate’s web pages, news stories, and events so that you can have easy access to all the information you need to vote.
CoKL Municipal Election Information
The City of Kawartha Lakes has provided a wealth of information about the election on their web site. Much of the information on this page is a distillation of the information you’ll find there. If you have questions about the election that aren’t answered here, please go to the City of Kawartha Lakes Municipal Election pages.
Key things that you should know:
- The election will be held on Monday, October 25, 2010;
- The election will be conducted through a mail-in ballot process, just like the by-election held for Ward 7 last year;
- Yuo can check if your name is on the voter’s list on-line by going to the City of Kawartha Lakes Voter Look-up
- Ballot kits will be mailed to eligible voters by the CoKL in late September;
- Voters should have received their mail-in voter kit in the mail by October 8st;
- Ballots should be mailed by October 15, 2010;
- You can hand-deliver your ballot up until October 25th, 2010;
- The results will be announced on October 26th, 2010.
|Candidate for Councillor, Ward 7||Contact/Info|
|Brian Junkin||Email: [email protected]Phone: 705-887-5529|
|Gail Thomassen||Email: [email protected]Web site: http://www.gailthomassen.comPhone: (705) 738-9018|
|Candidates for Mayor of the CoKL||Contact/Info|
|Lynn Boldt||Email: [email protected]Phone: 705-886-1100|
|Andy Letham||http://www.andyletham.comEmail: [email protected]Phone: 705-324-5551
(Bus) 705-887-6603 (Res)
|Ric McGee (incumbent)||Web site: http://www.ricmcgee.caEmail: [email protected]705-454-3045 (Bus)
|Ward 7 All Candidates Meeting||October 9th 10:00 a.m.||Sturgeon Point Union Church|
Both Ward 7 candidates for councillor and all three mayoral candidates have agreed to attend this meeting on Saturday morning. The meeting will be hosted by the Sturgeon Point Association. This is our chance to get to know the candidates first-hand and to ask them some questions. Don’t forget, the Church isn’t heated, so it may be a little cool. Dress warmly! Refreshments will be provided.
There has been a fair amount of press in the local papers about the candidates and about the election in general. The coverage is heavy on the mayoral candidates and shy on information about the race to represent Ward 7. Below is a collection of links related to Ward 7 election issues and the mayoralty race. We’ll keep adding to this as news develops.
- Mayoralty debates 1: This Lindsay Post article reports on the debates between the three mayoral candidates;
- Mayoralty debates 2: MyKawartha.com (the web arm of Kawartha Lakes this Week) reports in a little more depth on the all-candidates meeting held in Lindsay between the three mayoral candidates. There’s also some video of that event.
- myKawartha has posted a profile of Lynn Boldt ;
- This Week asked Andy Letham and Ric McGee a series fo questions. the following question. Click on the link to read their responses:
- Ric McGee and Andy Letham presented their cases in short articles published in This Week:
- The Linday Post covered Lynn Boldt’s entry into the mayoralty race: Mayoral candidate decided to offer voters third option
- Here’s an article dating back to Jan 12, 2010, announcing Andy Letham’s candidacy for the mayor’s job: Andy Letham joins mayor’s race
- TVCogeco has posted a number of videos as part of their “Behind the Ballot” series. These videos allow the candidates an opportunity to present their vision for the upcoming term. Not all of the candidates are represented on this site, but here’s what we found so far:
- Here’s a short article about Ward 7 candidate Gail Thommassen: Former councillor seeks Ward 7 seat in 2010 election
- The Lindsay Post ran this article about the Candidates Meeting held in Bobcaygeon: Doctor dearth dominates debate
- The Promoter just published some short features about the three mayoral candidates and Gail Thomassen. The Promoter publishes online in separate pages. The features can be seen in on Page 7, Page 8, and Page 9.
If you have questions about the by-election then please contact the City Clerk’s office.
City Clerk: Judy Currins
CoKL Main Phone: (705) 324-9411
CoKL Toll free: (888) 822-2225
CoKL Fax: (705) 324-8110
City of Kawartha Lakes
P.O. Box 9000
26 Francis Street