Sturgeon Point Association Annual General Meeting
The meeting will take place on Sunday, September 1, 2019 from 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM at the Sturgeon Point Union Church. Light refreshments will follow the meeting.
Annie Gray, a resident of Sturgeon Point for 87 years, passed away this Saturday. Service will be today in Fenelon Falls.
Passed away at Ross Memorial Hospital in Lindsay on Saturday May 24, 2014. Annie Gray in her 92nd year was a long time resident (87 years) of Sturgeon Point, Ontario and resident (4 years) of Fenelon Court Long Term Care, Fenelon Falls, Ontario. Dear sister of Bill and his wife Helen Gray of Peterborough. Aunt of Charlie Stewart and David & Sandi Stewart both of Fenelon Falls, Lori & David McMaster, Bob & Kathy Gray of Peterborough. Great aunt of Mitchell, James and Thomas Gray of Peterborough and Jackie McMaster of Brampton. Predeceased by her parents Captain Charles & Minnie Gray, sisters Gladys Gray, and Minnie Stewart, her brother Charles Gray and brother-in-law Douglas Stewart. The family of Annie Gray will receive friends at JARDINE FUNERAL HOME, CREMATION & TRIBUTE CENTRE, 8 Princes’ Street West, Fenelon Falls on Tuesday evening from 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. and on Wednesday May 28, 2014 from 12:30 p.m. until time of complete funeral service in the chapel at 1:30 p.m. Interment later at Fenelon Falls Cemetery. Memorial donations to St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, Fenelon Falls or the charity of your choice would be appreciated by the family. On line condolences, memorial donations or to light a memorial candle please visit www.jardinefuneralhome.com
This article appeared in this week’s issue of “The Fenelon Falls Town Crier” and on Fenelon Falls website.
Regatta spectators and participants gather around Joseph Brown’s Boathouse located between 4th & 5th Street, Sturgeon Point Circa 1908 – Source- Vintage Peterborough, Lindsay and Kawarthas
Article Source: THE STORY OF FORGOTTEN REGATTAS AT STURGEON POINT, by Watson Kirkconnell, M.A.
From the earliest times the hardwood groves at Sturgeon Point were a favorite rendezvous for picnics and excursions. The first regatta here was held in 1841, eighty years ago.
All pleasure on that occasion was marred by the drowning of a Mr. Wetherup, who upset from his canoe while in the act of taking off his coat. He was a powerful swimmer, but with his arms thus pinioned behind him he was lost at once.
Thirty-five years later, Captain George Crandell, of Lindsay, the chief promoter of navigation on local waters, realized the possibilities of Sturgeon Point as a summer village and spent some $25,000 in developing it towards that end. In 1876 he built a large summer hotel, the management of which was undertaken by W. H. Simpson. Crandell also purchased an extensive tract adjacent to the hotel and plotted out lots for summer cottages. These were quickly bought up and built upon: and thus began the summer colony at the Point.
The first regatta under the auspices of cottagers was held on September 18, 1878. The event of the day was a double canoe race in which two Rama Reserve Ojibwas named Yellowhead won by a narrow margin from Whetong and Toboco, two Mississagas from the Chemong Reserve. The winners paddled a birch bark canoe at seventy strokes to the minute. There were several white entrants in this open race, but all were left hopelessly behind by the two Indian crews.
About this time a black bear was found roaming about near the hotel and was disposed of by excited huntsmen. The hotel was destroyed by fire in 1893, but the village about it had continued to flourish. It is a somewhat effete existence that these large community summer resorts offer to anyone possessed of youth and vigor: but they are a true paradise for little children and a healthful week-end refuge for urban workers who have no vacation in which to sally by canoe into the magnificent wildernesses of North Victoria and Haliburton.
To learn more about the history and happening at Sturgeon Point visit www.sturgeonpoint.com/
The Olde Gaol Museum in Lindsay is going to be doing a display on the life and work of W. A. Goodwin this summer. W. A. Goodwin is the great-gradfather of Jane Goodwin / Dana Still from 3rd Street.
The family is inquiring if any Sturgeon Pointers may have any of his paintings hanging on their walls. According to family lore, W. A. Goodwin gave his paintings as gifts to many locals.
Most of his paintings we have seen are wilderness and nature pieces of various locations around the Kawarthas with many being of Sturgeon Point itself. He signed his work simply WAG. Sometimes he might paint his signature in so as to make it seem part of the scene or sometimes it would simply be painted in the lower right corner. He also made his own frames and they were often fairly ornate.
If anyone does have a painting, please contact Dana Still at stilldana (at) gmail (dot) com. It would be a lovely surprise to find some unknown Goodwin paintings.
Here is an example of Goodwin’s work. It is quite small – just a bit bigger than a post card.